If you are bottle feeding:
- Hold your baby close, look into his/her eyes
- Offer your baby the bottle but don’t force it into your baby’s mouth.
- Allow your baby to pause when feeding.
- Stop when your baby shows signs of having had enough.
- Don’t try and force your baby to take “a bit more”.
- It’s fine to use “first milks” until your baby is one year old – there is no need for “follow on, hungrier baby, toddler milks” etc.
- Limit the number of people who feed your baby.
- Speak to your midwife/health visitor about how to make up feeds safely. Also see the “Guide to Bottle Feeding” leaflet http://www.nhs.uk/start4life/documents/pdfs/start4life_guide_to_bottle_feeding.pdf