Join Solihull Infant Feeding Team for the Global Big Latch On, 2nd August 2019. Find us in the restaurant of John Lewis, Touchwood. Arrive from 10am to ensure you have enough time to register, ready to feed baby for 10.30am. Bring friends, family and join your community in celebration of breastfeeding!
The Infant Feeding Team recently supported the launch of the breastfeeding advert in Bristol, click the link to watch it. http://www.human-milk.com/index.html
Take a look at the new Community Services website which includes Health Visiting, School Nurses, Children’s Nurses and our very own Infant Feeding Team. www.childrenscommunityservices.heartofengland.nhs.uk
We are participating in the Global Big Latch On 2016 and need your support!
The Global Big Latch On takes place at a registered locations around the world, where women gather together to breastfeed and offer peer support to each other. It takes place annually over two days during World Breastfeeding Week (1st – 7th August).
Join us in Mell Square, 6th August, ready to ‘latch on’ for 10.30am! If you can’t make this one, why not check out their website and see if you can make another location – www.biglatchon.org
18th February 2014 – Smiths Wood & Chelmsley Children’s Centres will not be holding Breastfeeding Cafes today due to half term staffing. All other cafes will run as usual this week.
MONTHLY ROUND-UP OF NEWS & ITEMS OF INTEREST FOR ALL OUR SUPPORTERS
Welcome to the November/December edition of our Breastfeeding Bulletin, which is distributed to all Solihull Peer Supporters and Children’s Centre Breastfeeding Supporters. The aim is to update you on any news or items of interest from the Solihull Breastfeeding Team. If you have any news or items you would like included in future editions please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We have recently completed training for breastfeeding peer supporters at Smiths Wood Children’s Centre. Congratulations to: Sam Millane, Charlie Whitford, Karen Wiseman, Abbie Rowles, Sorcha Millington, Jane Thomson, Holly Dennis & Amy Dutton.
We are currently taking names for anyone interested in the next peer support training in the New Year so if you know any mums who have breastfed and are interested in peer support please ask them to contact us.
- Congratulations to peer supporter Sam Geraghty (now Millane) on her marriage to Ben on 16th November 2013.
- Congratulations to peer supporter Sarah Dickson, husband Nick, Abbie & Robbie on the birth of baby Bethany on 22nd November 2013.
- Congratulations to Good Hope Hospital who have recently been awarded Baby Friendly Stage 3, full accreditation. Celebrity Emma Willis joined Jackie Scott, Infant Feeding Co-ordinator, and Good Hope staff when they received their award.
- UNICEF Baby Friendly have recently held their annual conference in Glasgow: http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/Health-Professionals/Conferences/This-years-conference/
- Kinghshurst Children’s Centre are holding their Christmas Fayre at Yorkswood Primary School on Saturday 7th December 2013, 11am – 2pm. The Breastfeeding Team will be there with our polar bear so see you there.
- There has been much in the press about the NHS offering financial incentives in some areas to breastfeed. What do you think? Here is Baby Friendly’s response: http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/News-and-Research/News/Statement-on-new-study-on-financial-incentives-to-breastfeed/
- If you use Facebook, don’t forget to join our “Breastfeeding Solihull” group and feel free to comment and add photos, items of interest etc. We also post any news and events on this site so it’s a good way to keep up-to-date – we will be posting information about Breastfeeding Café opening times over Christmas. Also follow us on twitter @youplusbaby
- Did you know? Lactation may even be older than mammals and certainly older than than the placenta. Scientists now believe that lactation began evolving 200 million years ago in synapsids – proto mammals that laid eggs. They squirted a substance from sweat glands onto their thin eggs to protect them from pathogens and to moisten them. So here’s more evidence that breast milk evolved to be an immune booster first and a calorie source later! (Florence Williams, The Practising Midwife, March 2013).
- We hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year.
Carmen & Elaine, Melissa & Rachel
7th November 2013
You + Baby is looking for mums to share their stories on breastfeeding in Solihull.
Let us know the best places to feed in Solihull that you have been to (or heard of) that welcome breastfeeding mums and families - so that we can share this information with other mums.
However, we know some places are more “breastfeeding friendly” than others, and new mums like to know which places are good to go to with a new baby when they are out and about, so we want people to share their experiences with us so we can include this information as part of our service.”