• Wash your hands
• Cook raw meat and poultry properly
• Store food the right way
• Wear gloves if you're cleaning out the pets or doing the gardening
• Wash your fruit and veg!
• If you're reheating, make sure the food is piping hot all the way through
• Check sell by dates
• Always follow the cooking instructions!
• Folic acid – take 400mcg supplement daily up to the 12th week of pregnancy (5mg if you have diabetes)
• Vitamin D - needed to help absorb calcium 10mcg/day is recommended during pregnancy e.g. *Healthy Start
• Iron - needed in the diet for preventing anaemia and to help the baby develop normally. A diet rich in vitamin C will improve absorption
• Calcium - essential for bones and teeth for both mother and baby
*Healthy Start vitamins contain vitamins C, D and folic acid
Listen and watch Elaine Bates, a Heart of England NHS Midwife discuss the various stages of labou[...]